I had great expectations of representing Sri Lanka at Olympics- Sudesh Peiris


by Reemus Fernando

Commonwealth and South Asian Games weightlifting medalist Sudesh Peiris said that he had 'great expectations' of representing Sri Lanka at Olympics and after being informed of the wild card selection he was feeling the pressure of the responsibility at hand.
"I had great expectations that I would be selected as a wildcard entrant. There are several other weightlifters who are doing well. I think the weightlifting selectors have picked me on my performances at the last few international meets. Now I have to do well at the Rio Olympics and am feeling the pressure of the responsibility," said the soft spoken national record holder in a recent interview with The Island.
Peiris said that the environment in Japan where he had trained and worked for some six years now will be helpful for him to gain shape ahead of Rio Olympics.
"I have to prepare well, concentrate on my nutrition. I have to honour this selection. That is a huge responsibility. Since you have the ideal infrastructure there(in Japan) it is helpful for me. I am very much concerned about the nutritional factor. If I could have got a good nutritionist here I would have got the job done here as well. There are people (in Japan) who can help me," said the 31-year-old.
Peiris who won the gold medal in the 62kgs weight category at the recently held South Asian Games said that he was grateful to his childhood coach Ranjith B. Perera who was the first to identify his potential.
"I must thank my first coach Ranjith B. Perera. He came to my school as a volunteer and encouraged me to persevere in this sport. It was Mr. Perera who first said that I had potential to do big time," said Peiris.
The weightlifter from Sandalankawa attended St. Mary's College, Negombo before joining Sri Lanka Air Force where he dominated local championships with Commonwealth Games gold medalist Chinthana Vidanage.
Peiris won a bronze at the New Delhi Commonwealth Games in 2010 and upgraded it to a silver at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games in 2014. His last major victory was the gold medal winning feat at the South Asian Games this year.
Peiris holds the national record of his weight class of 62kgs (snatch 123kgs, clean and jerk 154 kgs).

I had great expectations of representing Sri Lanka at Olympics- Sudesh Peiris I had great expectations of representing Sri Lanka at Olympics- Sudesh Peiris Reviewed by Lankastudents on 10:35:00 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.